Saturday, September 21, 2013

¡Viva Chile!

This week is undoubtably the best week to be in Chile. Why? Two words: Fiestas patrias.

Fiestas patrias is the celebration of Chilean independence. The anniversary of the "Primera Junta Nacional de Gobierno" is September 18. However, the celebration lasts all week long. In fact, the entire motto of fiestas patrias seems to be "Go big or go home" (anyone know how to express that in Spanish?). But seriously, fiestas patrias puts any 4th of July celebration I have ever seen to shame.

So here´s what I was up to this fiestas patrias:

For starters, my friend Tiara and I were invited to a "fonda" hosted by the relatives of one of Tiara´s friends from the university. I had no idea what to expect when we arrived, but I never could have imagined what this party was like. Makarena´s family went all out. We entered to the sight of 50+ homemade empanadas being made. The entire area where the party was being held was covered in Chile decor: streamers, strings of Chilean flags, and one huge Chilean flag hanging on the wall. There was a dance floor set up, complete with an entire sound system. We were immediately offered traditional Chilean drinks, and we met at least 20 aunts, uncles, cousins and siblings.

The party space
Almost immediately, our friend Makarena changed into her traditional Chilean dress, and the dancing began. The national dance of Chile is called cueca, and one of my bucket-list items for this semester was to learn how to dance it. After changing into (borrowed) traditional Chilean dresses, our lessons began. It took a little bit for us to get the hang of it, but by the end of the afternoon, we could both dance a passable cueca (see video). So that one gets a big check!


Video of me dancing cueca...please forgive that I don´t exactly look professional. It was fun anyways!

The rest of the afternoon was spent eating empanadas, dancing with all of Makarena´s relatives, and drinking ponche and terremotos. All in all, the party was unlike any party I have ever been to, but I was so glad to be celebrating the most important day in Chile with such great people.
Homemade empanada and ponche
Fiestas patrias phase two began later in the evening on the 18th, when Tiara and I went to meet another Chilean friend at another fonda in Santiago. This fonda was not a family event, but rather a big concert, being held at the racetrack. There were 4 bands performing, a DJ, food, games, etc. I enjoyed seeing yet another way Chileans celebrate the 18th.

Finally, fiestas patrias phase 3 was on the 19th. Tiara and I made our way to Parque O´Higgins, the largest park in Santiago, where the biggest fiestas patrias celebration was taking place. I cannot describe the sight that met our eyes. I told Tiara that I felt like the entire population of Santiago was there. There were booths selling all kinds of things, food, and drinks. There were carnival rides and games (including a game where you could spin to win a bottle of booze of your choice). There were kids flying kites everywhere. It was overwhelming, but in a good way.

The main event of the day in Parque O´Higgins was the military parade, featuring the armed forces, traditional Chilean costumes, and *drumroll* the president of Chile! So yes, we saw Piñera in the flesh. Pretty exciting stuff.

Well, I think this post has been sufficiently long, so I will wrap it up by saying that these past few days have been some of my favorites of the entire semester so far.
Tiara and I in traditional Chilean dress, in front of the Chilean flag

No comments:

Post a Comment